More Recent Comments

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Free Love, the '60's, and Protein Synthesis

 
Most of us have seen this video of protein synthesis. It was made in 1971 (close enough to the '60's) at Stanford University and narrated by Paul Berg. This is a classic. Every student has to see it. (Much of the science is outdated but you don't watch it for the science.)

You have to wait until 5 minutes into the video to start seeing the student participation section on the outdoor field. This sort of thing was easy to organize back in 1971 but I can't imagine my students doing it today. Perhaps I'm wrong. Would any of you be interested in making an updated version?
All mimsey was the mRNA, and protein chain outgrabe ....
Thanks to Living the Scientific Life for finding it on YouTube.

4 comments :

Greg Laden said...

I've always thought there should be an updated version of this. But how to go about it?

Maybe a hip hop version. I've got a friend who is sort of Queen of the Hip Hop in the twin cities.... and she's a brilliant filmographer. I doubt it would fly but I can run it by her.

Allyson said...

Kenyon College restaged the performance in May 2006. If I can find a link to the video, I'll post it.

Anonymous said...

Here is the link:
http://biology.kenyon.edu/slonc/Micro/protein_synth102105.mp4

Anonymous said...

ok, once again :)
http://tinyurl.com/o4czc